Thursday, May 15, 2008

Little baby hearts

At 20 weeks we had the "big" ultrasound, which consisted of a 45 minute ultrasound where they measured everything from head size to check if the baby has clubbed feet. According to the doctor, everything looked normal except for one bright spot on the baby's heart. The name for it is an Echogenic intracardiac focus (Explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echogenic_intracardiac_focus) which is essentially a calcium deposit on the heart. She said that it is one marker of down syndrome, but if they don't have any other symptoms then it's nothing to worry about. It is apparently very common in young and old mothers, and is especially becoming more common because ultrasounds are so precise these days. When the doctor told me about it she said that I could either go to Denver right away and get more tests or wait a couple of weeks and see if it had gone away.

This week on May 13th I had a follow-up ultrasound to see if it had dissolves, but it's still there. The tech said it hadn't gotten any bigger though, and that was a good sign. There is also still only one spot, which is also a good sign. She said that the doctor would probably be giving me a call that day, but it's Thursday and still no word. My regular appointment is on the 19th, so I'm guessing that since I haven't heard anything that they aren't real worried. That helps in easing my worry, but it's really hard not to get a little worked up about it. I know it's not helping matters though. This week I've been pretty on edge and very preoccupied thinking about the whole thing. It's amazing how insignificant other people's problems seem when I'm dealing with a baby that has a heart abnormality.

The good thing that happened at our 20 week appointment is that we found out that it's a boy!! We're still pretty set on naming him Silas Nathan, but I'm not totally setting that in stone. If something better comes along then I think I could be persuaded. Or if he is born and is just not a Silas, we should probably leave it open. I'm so excited to be having a boy, that is really what I've always wanted. I am realizing, though, that life around here will be a little different and I'm going to be outnumbered. Nothing I'm not used to already, I truly have no close girl friends and it's always Nate's friends that are over. It really hit me that I'm going to be the only girl around here when I asked Nate if he thought my pant and shirt matched and all I got was "Meh." Then I realize that I'll just be getting two "Meh's" now and no girly opinions. Honestly, that will be different. I'm used to having guy friends over (Nate's) but I'm really not used to living with guys, besides Nate, of course. Nate came in the other day and asked me if I knew what I was getting into having a little boy. Then he gave me this scene of how we'll come in and he'll be standing on the couch and he'll have a vacuum cleaner hose, pretending like it's a gun, but we'll have to scold him because you don't point guns at people. You know what? I don't know what I'm getting into. At all. But I'm very much looking forward to it and I know that if we can be the best parents we can to Silas, I'll have nothing at all to worry about.

No comments: